< Back to Job Opportunities
The Commodity Manager is accountable for development and execution of Global Sourcing and Supplier Management Strategies utilizing cross-functional strategic sourcing teams (Commodity Project Managers, Purchasing Managers, Engineers, Operations Managers, Quality and Marketing Managers). Manager business through the use of Balance Scorecards driving continuous improvement in Net Productivity, Cash Flow, Quality, Delivery Compliance and Lead Time.
This position will be specifically responsible for Ferrous Raw Material and Metal Fabricated Components.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement structured commodity strategies that align short-term business needs and long-term company objectives for global sourcing and with stakeholders
- o Annual business goals and actions creation
- o Understanding global price trends and economics around assigned commodities
- o Supply chain optimization understanding total cost of ownership
- o Innovation discovery and facilitation
- o Make-Buy and supplier selection evaluations
- Own and manager compliance to the strategy, drives expected results
- Mangers supplier relationships, contract, negotiations, selection and supplier evaluation (quality, delivery, lead time, etc.) through regular business reviews
- Present Balanced Scorecard and Long Term Sourcing Strategy to upper management
- Provide leadership and mentoring to other developing professionals
- Develop, foster and enhance supply chain and multi-departmental relationship(s) between Weber-Stephen Products and key suppliers, bringing a strategic sourcing perspective to all key processes
- Develop new and creative ideas to realize business objectives
- Be a catalyst for continuous improvement
- Provide an expertise in the business to understand goal entitlement and objectives and collaborate to formulate strategies to achieve desired business results on an ongoing basis
- Familiarity and compliance to company policies and procedures
Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
Competencies To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Delegation - Delegates work assignments; Matches the responsibility to the person; Gives authority to work independently; Sets expectations and monitors delegated activities; Provides recognition for results.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Judgment - Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Leadership - Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Accepts feedback from others; Gives appropriate recognition to others.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information
Qualifications to perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
Supervisory Responsibilities: N/A
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or a technically related field, or equivalent experience
- 5-7 years experience in Purchasing, Supply Chain, or a technical position in a high volume manufacturing environment. Seasonal business experience helpful
- Experience in direct commodity apply for (i.e. Steel, Metal Fabrication, etc.)
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Professional designations or Certifications by recognized Purchasing organizations preferred
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Positive attitude & highly motivated
- Competence with Microsoft Office software required
- Strong interpersonal, problem-solving and project management skills required
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to quantify/evaluate manufacturing processes and technologies to ensure “best cost” solutions for purchased components and new product cost parameters
- Demonstrated negotiation skills
- High standards of integrity required
- Familiar with and working experience in a Quality regulated manufacturing environment
- High energy level and strong self-motivation required
- Planning and organizational skills with an ability to handle a multitude of projects required
- Must be willing to travel as required
- Must be able to travel internationally
- Strong multi tasking skills
< Back to Job Opportunities